- Kirkleatham, Redcar, TS10 4QT
- Head Gardener
As the horticultural lead on-site, you will be responsible for managing the gardens and ensuring that all requisite tasks are completed to maintain a well-cared for heritage walled garden. This will ensure that the gardens play a central role in representing a great impression to visitors, considering the unique nature and requirements of the site. To give you an idea of the make-up of the site please search for 'Kirkleatham-walled-garden'
You will manage and supervise a team of gardeners, including apprenticeship roles, each of whom will which will carry out skilled gardening and general garden and maintenance work, contributing to the overall appearance of the grounds within the site and helping to ensure that the highest standards are carried out throughout the year.
Your key responsibilities as the Head Gardener will consist of:
• Manage the overall day-to-day maintenance of all aspects of the garden and garden buildings such as sheds, greenhouses, etc, and manage the team who perform these roles
• Plan rotas for planting and maintenance
• Manage and maintain general cleanliness in the garden area and gardening supplies
• Adhere to agreed budgets and maintain applicable quality standards and records
• Quality control of all aspects of gardening including health and safety
• Meet your targets and those of the team as a whole
• Contribute towards the smooth running of the site
• Training and development of the gardening team
• Adhere to statutory obligations and agreed quality and best practice guidelines
• Understand all aspects of gardening services and management and train the gardening team to enable them to confidently deal with all aspects of their roles
• Liaise with the Head Chef in using produce from the gardens in menus and for sale in the retail shop
• Ensure an appealing range of plants, seeds, and produce is available for sale in the retail shop
• Manage the day to day running of all aspects of the gardens, including care and maintenance of gardens in line with the design plan, care and maintenance of hedging, and care and maintenance of the greenhouse
• Provide knowledge input and advice relating to all aspects of the garden including pruning staking feeding and spraying
• Carry out an agreed annual maintenance work program to maintain the garden to the agreed standard
• Regularly inspect any garden structures and undertaking minor repairs or advising line manager
• General garden carpentry such as assembling and maintaining furniture, replacing handles, and similar hardware
• General minor painting & decorating to maintain garden appearance
• Carry out planned tasks in accordance with contract/agreed requirements
• Ensure compliance to agreed codes, legislation, and procedures including health and safety
• Maintain accurate records/documentation associated with your work
The experience and knowledge we are looking for from the future Head Gardener include:
• Preferably qualified to B. Sc in Horticulture level
• Min 2 years' experience in walled or heritage garden
• Requisite knowledge of the tools, equipment, and materials
• Practical knowledge of plants plus experience and use of general garden machinery
• Demonstrate knowledge of applicable codes, standards, and regulations for this role
• Skills in general gardening and maintenance
• Able to share knowledge
• Leadership with ability to drive and develop a team
• Genuine desire to serve the needs of customers with a strong personal responsibility for achieving customer satisfaction
• Excellent analytical, interpersonal, organisational, and communication skills.
• High integrity and honesty in all dealings
• Project management skills
• Friendly and approachable with strong customer service skills
• Good attention to detail
• Ability to work under pressure
• Have and maintain the knowledge, technical skills, and qualifications necessary to perform the role to comply with any applicable rules, regulations, and any law that applies to the role
As part of your package, we are offering a salary up to £30,000 per annum.
This role also comes with a workplace pension and 28 days holiday pro-rata (including Bank Holidays). You can also purchase up to 5 additional days annual leave.
89% of our colleagues enjoy doing their job each day.
Here at Elior UK we have lots of opportunity for progression and personal development within our business and work with a diverse range of clients.
Elior is a multi-award winning global player in the contract catering sector, with operations in over 6 countries, over 105,000 employees and 4 million guests served every day. We are one of the largest contract caterers in the industry with our Group headquarters in Paris. Here in the UK we have approximately 10,000 colleagues helping us deliver our promise in achieving excellence in everything that makes up the customer experience across over 1,200 sites.
Within our concessions business we continuously develop our offer and keep ahead of competition through innovative catering and hospitality offers. Our concessions sites aim to make every customer experience memorable. Away from the standard 9 till 5, these sites allow for flexibility and offer real opportunity for growth in a hospitality career.